Gluten-Free Veggie Supreme Pizza
1 hr 15 mins
You’ve got people coming over tonight, and you’re responsible for feeding everyone. You’ve got some left over pasta sauce and some BBQ sauce in the refrigerator, but you’re not sure what to make to keep everyone happy. Why not make a pizza! We’ve got a vegetarian-friendly and a meat eater’s pizza that are sure to please (with a delicious gluten-free crust from The Minimalist Baker). You can even do half and half if you want!
Course: Dinner, Lunch
Cuisine: Vegan, Vegetarian
- 3 cups gluten-free flour blend (1.5 cups brown rice flour, 1.5 cups white rice flour, 1/2 tsp xantham gum)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (plus another 1/2 cup for later)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Cook on 13″ pizza pan (we recommend the Domestix™ brand if you can find it)
- 4 tbsp Wholesome Goodness® Roasted Garlic Pasta Sauce
- 8 oz mozzarella, sliced about a 1/3″ thick, or shredded
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp Wholesome Goodness® Balsamic Dressing
- Preheat your oven to 350º.
- In a small bowl, combine the yeast, sugar, and the first 3/4 cup of warm water (not too hot, or it will kill the yeast). Mix together and then let stand until the mixture starts to get foamy on top.
- In a larger bowl, mix together the flour mixture, baking powder, and salt.
- Create a “well” in the center of the dry mixture and add the yeast mixture and the olive oil.
- Mix everything together until the dough comes together and develops a smooth, elastic texture.
- Place the dough on top of your pizza pan (or a counter top if you prefer) and spread the dough out until it resembles a typical pizza crust and is about a 1/4″ thick.
- Bake for 25 minutes or so, until it starts to look a little drier.
- Remove from oven and add your toppings.
- De-vein and de-seed the bell pepper
- Coarsely chop and combine the bell pepper, onion, broccoli and mushrooms, and set aside.
- If you’re using a ball or log of mozzarella, coarsely chop into pieces until they have about the same diameter as a quarter and are about a 1/3″ thick. They will spread in the oven as they melt. If you’re using shredded mozzarella, ignore this.
- Shred about a 1/4 cup of low-fat cheddar cheese, if you’re not using shredded cheese already.
- Drop your 4 Tbsp of pasta sauce in the center of the crust and then use the back side of a ladle or spoon to spread evenly across the surface of the crust, leaving about a 1/2″ to an inch of space at the edges of the crust.
- Cover evenly with mozzarella.
- Cover evenly with vegetable mixture.
- Drizzle with balsamic dressing.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese evenly all over.
Put back in the oven for another 20-25 minutes, and serve warm.
- Optional: for a little extra effect, you can turn on your oven’s broiler for the last 10 minutes to brown the cheddar and caramelize the balsamic a little better.