One of our favorite weekend breakfast treats is the traditional Mexican dish chilaquiles. We love the savory flavors and the fact that beyond the basic salsa, tortillas (or tortilla chips) and eggs, you can basically do whatever you want to make them. A flavorful start for your weekend breakfast, brunch, or lunch that can be made almost completely out of things you need to clean out of the fridge? That’s always a helpful recipe to have filed away. Recently, we took on the task of creating a recipe for chilaquiles that was on the healthier side. Here’s what we came up with.
Multigrain & Omega Tortilla Chips
- 1 1/4 cup cooking oil (we used vegetable oil, but you can also use grapeseed oil, olive oil, or canola oil)
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 1/2 jar Wholesome Goodness™ Pineapple Salsa
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 1/4 white onion, diced
- 2 small sweet peppers veined, de-seeded, and chopped
- 1 can black beans drained and washed
- 4 oz. fresh goat cheese
- 1 1/2 bag Wholesome Goodness™ Multi-Grain Tortilla Chips
- Add the oil to a medium sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Once the oil is hot enough, add the garlic to the pan and stir around so it is evenly distributed. You should hear the garlic start to sizzle. If this doesn’t happen, wait a little longer for the oil to heat up.
- Add the diced onion and chopped peppers to the pan. Stir to coat the bottom of the pan and cook until the onions start to become translucent.
- Add the black beans
- Add the salsa.
- Add the spinach. You may need to go handful by handful until the spinach wilts enough to allow you to add more.
- Once all of the spinach is wilted and incorporated, allow to simmer for one minute.
- Crack the eggs and allow them to sit on top of the sauce, cover and cook until the whites firm up. If you don’t like runny eggs, you can just cook longer to allow the yolk to firm up. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- While you’re waiting for the eggs to finish cooking, add a handful each of tortilla chips to two bowls, and then top with 1 oz. each of goat cheese.
- Once the eggs are cooked to your liking, take the mixture off of the heat and spoon over your chips and cheese into each bowl. Top with the rest of your goat cheese and enjoy!